Which U.S. regions have the least expensive health insurance premiums through health reform's new exchanges?
According to a new report by Kaiser Health News, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Pittsburgh and Northwestern Pennsylvania, Middle Minnesota, Tucson Arizona, and Northwestern Minnesota.
Top 10 Least Expensive Health Insurance Exchange Markets
The lowest cost regions were determined by the monthly premiums for a 40-year-old person. The list is based on rates for individual health plans offered on the federal and state health insurance exchanges (aka Marketplaces). The ranking is based on the lowest cost of a Silver plan, the mid-range plan most consumers are selecting.
According to Kaiser Health News, many people in these regions will also receive government tax credits to help pay for the premiums.
Is your region on the top 10 list?
(1) $154: Minneapolis-St. Paul. Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, Sherburne and Washington counties.
(2) $164: Pittsburgh and Northwestern Pennsylvania. Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Crawford, Erie, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, McKean, Mercer, Warren, Washington and Westmoreland counties.
(3) $166: Middle Minnesota. Benton, Stearns and Wright counties.
(4) $167: Tucson, Arizona. Pima County.
(5) $171: Northwestern Minnesota. Clearwater, Kittson, Mahnomen, Marshall, Norman, Pennington, Polk and Red Lake counties.
(6) $173: Salt Lake City. Davis and Salt Lake counties.
(7) $176: Hawaii.
(8) $180: Knoxville, Tennessee. Anderson, Blount, Campbell, Claiborne, Cocke, Grainger, Hamblen, Jefferson, Knox, Loudon, Monroe, Morgan, Roane, Scott, Sevier & Union.
(9) $180: Western and North Central Minnesota. Aitkin, Becker, Beltrami, Big Stone, Cass, Chippewa, Clay, Crow Wing, Douglas, Grant, Hubbard, Isanti, Kanabec, Kandiyohi, Lac qui Parle, Lyon, McLeod, Meeker, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Otter Tail, Pine, Pope, Renville, Roseau, Sibley, Stevens, Swift, Todd, Traverse, Wadena Wilkin and Yellow Medicine counties. In Chisago County, the lowest premium is $162.
(10) $181: Chattanooga, Tennessee. Bledsoe, Bradley, Franklin, Grundy, Hamilton, Marion, McMinn, Meigs, Polk, Rhea and Sequatchie counties.
Source: Kaiser Health News
See related articles:
- Top 10 Most Expensive Health Insurance Exchange Markets in the U.S.
- State by State Guide to Health Insurance Exchange Rates
- ACA Exchanges: Which Health Insurance Companies are Coming Out Ahead?